The Lost Art of Movie Trailers- Fave Picks- Part 1

Today’s update is something a bit unusual for this blog because I would like to talk about theatrical trailers. These are the most essential part of the film/TV show’s marketing because they give you an idea of what to expect in terms of storyline, special effects, and the general feel of the movie. Personally, I have never really cared about these, but in the world of today, when film trailers are basically generic and set to the same loud music filled with massive beats, I started to appreciate the lost art of old trailers; back in the days when their aim was to pique the audience’s interest without giving away too much, but they also could have functioned as little pieces of art in their own right (see for instance trailers for Star Wars and Lethal Weapon). For the purposes of my blog, I decided to compose a list of my favourite trailers for Asian productions. This is actually going to be a three-part list with a descending order, so I am going to provide my choices from spot 30 to 1 together with justifications. So plese make yourself comfortable and let’s check out some trailers!
 
30. Zokki (2021)
The opening of our list starts with the film Zokki. What I appreciate about this trailer is that it does not give away a single spoiler from the film while its graphic design is really colourful and the narrator’s enunciation of the word “Zokki” is actually echoed and lopped to the max.
 
29. The Naked Director (2019)
This is actually the trailer for Netflix J-Drama, and for some I was unable to find it on the official Netflix channel. The reason I love this trailer is because it is edited really really well, and the song choice for this one is just perfect: Opportunities by Pet Shop Boys. I wish they could have used it in the actual show because it fits the context perfectly! I also greatly adore the font style mixed together with glitchy pixels. I know the intention was to highlight the fact that the show is about NSFW material, but I would also appreciate it had they used the fake magnetic lines because the action of The Naked Director takes place at the height of the VHS era.
 
28. Zeiram 2 (1994)
While Zeiram 2 is not as awesome as the original Zeiram (which I already pointed out in my editorial), the theatrical trailer is just awesome. It immediately gets you pumped up for the action without any dialogue, and the encapsulation of the clips into the letters of the titular monster is icing on the cake. The POV of Yuko Moriyama shooting at the center of a camera is the million dollar shot right there.
 
27. Memories (1995)
I am not sure if this is the official trailer or just a distribution trailer tailored by a physical media company. Either way, this trailer really highlights the cyberpunk vibe of this great anime feature. The opening song that was used might have been too techno, but it goes well with the images (still Madama Butterfly knocks it out of the park), although the clips are shown out of order when the title cards for the respective segments of Memories appear on the screen.
 
26. Bayside Shakedown 2: Close the Rainbow Bridge! (2002)
Bayside Shakedown 2 is definitely the most popular instalment of the Odoru Daisousasen franchise, so it goes without saying that it received a kick-ass trailer. I like not just because the main theme Rhythm and Police was used, but also because Akihito Matsumoto’s other musical cues are incorporated as well.
 
25. Zatoichi (2003)
This trailer just takes everything that is best from Takeshi Kitano’s popular remake and goes all out! It’s a bit of a shame that it kind of spoils the ending sequence, but I understand why it works so well to sell the premise of the film and get you pumped for action. I wish I could have seen it on the big screen.
 
24. Gunhed (1989)
As I said numerous times before, I am not a fan of this movie, but I appreciate it for what it is. It was a stroke of luck, when I found the original theatrical trailer on Youtube. My God, the visuals are timeless and breathtaking! However, I also appreciate that Mariko Nagai’s theme song was also used in this trailer.
 
23. Days of Being Wild (1990)
Hong Kong trailers never won me over because they mainly showcase the kung fu action. Thankfully, Wong Kar Wai was a bit more lucky with his productions. The trailer for Days of Being Wild perfectly sells the vibe of tranquillity, mainly thanks to Xavier Cugat’s Perfidia song.
 
22. Chungking Express (1994)
Speaking of Wong Kar War again, this trailer for Chungking Express was actually made for the Japanese market, but I love that they used Faye Wong’s version of Dreams. I hope that the HD remaster of this trailer exists somewhere out there.
 
21. Fukushima 50 (2020)
Fukushima 50 received multiple trailers, many of which include a scene in the White House that does not appear in the actual film (for some unknown reason), but this trailer is definitely my favourite. It really makes you feel that the struggle of the heroes is the race against time.
 
20. A Chinese Ghost Story (1987)
Without a doubt, the best Hong Kong trailer out there. It perfectly communicates everything about the film in a nutshell, and the ending title card with the red fabric floating is absolutely beautiful.
 
So this was the end of the first part. If you enjoyed this rundown, I invite you to stay tuned for part 2. If this text was not your cup of tea, please do know that I will roll out a regular review next week. Thank you for reading.
«Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us»

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is switched on due to recent spam postings.