Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 Season 1 (2020) [Anime Review]

Ghost in the Shell SAC 2045; or, The Art of War
     It's wonderful not to have any noise.
When I first heard of Netflix teaming up with Production I.G. in order to create a new Ghost in the Shell anime, I was pleasantly surprised. Then, the official trailer saw the light of day and it only increased my worries about this upcoming entry in the franchise. All in all, Netflix executives already made a name for themselves in the vast and infinite net after (mis)handling other anime adaptations. In view of the constant release delays (the series came out at the end of April) and the raging pandemic at the beginning of 2020, my hype level simply wore off. As a result, I was not keen on checking S.A.C. 2045 until now. Finally, having seen all 12 episodes, I can safely say that this ghost is still very much alive in its new shell.
Release Info
Developed by: Shinji Aramaki, Kenji Kamiyama Voice Actors: Aysuko Tanaka, Osamu Saka, Akio Otsuka
Language: Japanese Original Title: 攻殻機動隊 No. of eps.: 12
Synopsis
In the early 2040s, the G-4 nations devised an idealised version of warfare known as “Sustainable War”. Military conflicts were no longer violent acts of invasion, but they became a permanent branch of economy, handled by AI systems and professional mercenaries. The goal was not to kill, but to expand the economic potential of a given country. However, after the “Global Simultaneous Default” event, all financial institutions went bankrupt. Still, the wealthy elites were not directly affected by the economic crisis because they invested in the Sustainable War. Major Motoko Kusanagi works together with former members of the Public Security Section 9 for a private military company in America. Chief Aramaki together with Togusa put the old team back together so they could investigate the mysterious “post-humans” who are allegedly responsible for instigating the global economic collapse.
Who controls the past…
Allow me to address the most pressing questions right away: 1) Yes, S.A.C. 2045 is set in the same timeline as the two previous seasons of Stand Alone Complex 2) No, it does not suck. I was super afraid that the 3D animation would completely spoil the viewing experience for me, but I quickly got used to the new “look” and even appreciated it during the action scenes. Clearly, directors Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama wanted to push the envelope with these new episodes and present a live-action-like experience, which clearly is not live-action. Personally, I liked the character design, the return of the original voice actors, and video game vibes of the visuals; however, if the numerous layers of 3D are something you cannot absolutely stand... then it is best to give S.A.C. 2045 a pass.
The one aspect of the series that won me over is definitely the writing. The world of political intrigues and individual rebellions against the status quo as we know it from the previous GITS entries remains intact. I dare to think that, in a lot of ways, these new episodes mirror (and build upon) the themes from the first season of Stand Alone Complex. No spoilers, but let me say that whereas the Laughing Man sought inspiration in J.D. Salinger, the “antagonist” of S.A.C. 2045 is very much under the influence of George Orwell.
Another thing which I found enjoyable was the inclusion of some new characters. They may not have a huge impact on the overall storyline, but they provide a much-needed breath of fresh air. In addition, if you wonder about the presence of “stand-alone” stories in this season, then I confirm: Yes, there is only one involving Batou (and it’s great!).
Now moving on to things that I disliked… The intro and outro themes feel very generic. I don’t usually skip through the credits, but the blandness of the songs made push the fast forward button. In contrast, the music score by Kazuma Jinnouchi and Nobuko Toda has noticeable Hans Zimmer undertones and is fairly enjoyable
.One more thing that left me disappointed was the series ending. Again, I’m not throwing any spoilers, but I should warn you that S.A.C. 2045 ends with a cliffhanger(!) That’s right, these 12 episodes do not tell a complete story. Netflix/Production I.G. is going to release a second season apparently sometime around January 2021… Come on, Aramaki and Kamiyama! The suspense is killing me!
Recommendations
As I have already said, if you do not mind the CGI animation style, then you can give S.A.C. 2045 a try. If you have not seen it already, then it is best to wait for the second season in order to be able to see all 24 episodes without waiting. Major is still kick-ass and that’s the most important thing.
Overall score: 8/10
«Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us»

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is switched on due to recent spam postings.