My Teacher (2017) [Film Review]

My Teacher; or, The First Love
     Every hour of lost time now is a chance for future regret.
As soon as I saw the poster and trailer for Sensei!... Am I allowed to love you?, I knew that I had to check it out. I was expecting it be a rehash of Great Teacher Onizuka format, but I was pleasantly surprised. My Teacher is a little sweet film about innocent affection that should never have happened between a student and her teacher.
Release Info
Directed by: Takahiro Miki Starring: Toma Ikuta, Suzu Hirose, Aoi Morikawa, Ryo Ryusei
Language: Japanese Original Title: 先生!、、、好きになってもいいですか? Runtime: 112 min
 
Synopsis
Hibiki Shimada (Suzu Hirose) is an ordinary, 17-year-old, high school student. She has never been in a romantic relationship, but she spends time with her two best friends: Chigusa (Aoi Morikawa) and Kosuke (Ryo Ryusei) who are busy chasing after teachers they fell in love with. Touched by his acts of kindness, Shimada also develops such feelings for her history teacher, Mr Ito (Toma Ikuta). He takes her to a hospital, gives her a ride home a couple of times, and even helps in solving after-class assignments. However, Mr Ito perceives such tasks to be part of his job, nothing beyond that. Shimada eventually confesses her feelings to Ito, but he tells her that cannot reciprocate. As a result, she makes a deal with him: if she scores over 90 points in the test, he will allow her to love him. Discouraged along the way, Shimada does not give up in cultivating her feelings to Mr Ito.
 
Love Knows No Limits
I was afraid I won’t, but I really did enjoy My Teacher. I was worried that halfway through the picture (after the big scene revealed in the trailer) the story will turn into a preachy drama about how some relationships are forbidden, but nothing like that happened. The movie was evenly paced and had this peaceful, believable aura which made events unfolding on the screen seem plausible in real life. Even though there was a part of me knowing that something like this would never happened, I found myself cheering for Hibiki’s quest to win the unwinnable heart.
 
The rooftop scene is the most recognisable hallmark of the picture, but I have also enjoyed the subtle moments in Mr Ito’s office as well as the interactions between Shimada and Chigusa. Even the scenes with Fujioka (Kentaro Matsuo) did not seem forced at all. The school setting feels very much like another character in the film. Thankfully, the “outrage” component in the story is significantly toned down, because it is not the main focus of the picture.
With regard to performances, everyone is praising Toma Ikuta’s performance as Mr Ito. I thought it was convincing and okay, considering the fact that most of the time he plays a grumpy teacher who’s slacking during work hours. In my opinion, Suzu Hirose really carried the picture with her performance as a naive (yet decent and honest) student. The supporting actors did great jobs, especially Aoi Morikawa and Ryo Ryusei as Hibiki’s close friends. The only odd-actress out seemed Manami Higa as Ms. Nakajima. I have nothing against her, but she did not seem to fit the role of a teacher who is standing in-between of Ito and Shimada.
 
Recommendations
Go ahead and check it out if you are into Japanese school stories (or if you have your own secret teacher crush). Some manga enthusiasts may be interested in the fact that the movie is actually based on Sensei! comic book series by Kazune Kawahara. In my personal opinion, it’s best to watch the film at the beginning of a school year, as it has this inextricable Autumn-feel. All things considered, My Teacher is a very subtle romantic movie which leaves you wanting for more.
Overall score: 8/10

2 comments:

  1. I would like to praise the soundtrack. It was really good and helped to connect with the scenes.
    For me the climax was how Kosuke made his teacher to accept his true self.
    Good review, by the way. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the comment. I'm happy that you liked the film and the soundtrack.

      Delete

Comment moderation is switched on due to recent spam postings.