Love Letter (1995) [Film Review]

Love Letter: or, In Search for the Lost Memories
     “Dear Fujii Itsuki, How are you? I’m very well.” – Watanabe Hiroko
Just when I begin to think that the Japanese cinema can’t surprise me any further, a movie like Love Letter comes along. To be honest, I resented watching this picture, because it has such a convoluted online synopsis. Nevertheless, I finally brought myself round and played the film... Two hours later I was lying on the carpet heartbroken and wrought with anger at myself for not having seen this beautiful masterpiece earlier.
Release Info
Directed by: Shunji Iwai Starring: Miho Nakayama, Miki Sakai, Etsushi Toyokawa
Language: Japanese Alternative Title: When I Close My Eyes Runtime: 116 min
Synopsis
Watanabe Hiroko (Miho Nakayama) is a woman living in the city of Kobe. Two years earlier, her fiancé, Fujii Itsuki (Takashi Kashiwabara), died in a mountain climbing accident. Still in depression and grief, Hiroko writes a letter to her dead fiancé and sends it to the address she found in his old high-school yearbook. However, it was the wrong Fujii Itsuki she found in a book. The mail reaches Otaru, a northern town, far away from Kobe, and the letter is received by Fujii Itsuki, a female (also played by Miho Nakayama). Soon after, Watanabe Hiroko is surprised that she received a response from her dead fiancé. In consequence, a remarkable correspondence between the two women ensues.
Eternal Waiting
Love Letter marked the theatrical beginning of Shunji Iwai’s filmmaking career, the director of such acclaimed pictures as Picnic (1996), Swallowtail Butterfly (1996), and All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001). It should be noted that the screenplay and the subsequent novel based on the film were written by him as well.
So what Love Letter is all about? Well, it is mainly about the experience of feeling. In order to understand what I mean, I suggest that you watch at least the first two minutes of the picture. When Miho Nakayama gets up from the snow, the camera pans out to reveal the overview of a city in winter, and just as Remedios’ captivating music kicks in, the movie immediately steals your heart.
However, the film is not so much about the process of overcoming grief, but rather about immersing oneself in memories of the past. Watanbe Hiroko may be the first character we are introduced to, but it is female Fujii Itsuki who seems very much to be the protagonist of the whole story. Through her recollections, the viewers and Hiroko discover the elusive figure of male Fujii Itsuki, who he was and how he interacted with others. The fact that Miho Nakayama plays the two characters who exchange letters is not without any meaning, but I do not intend to spoil the twist for you.
The primary advantage of Love Letter is the enchantingly beautiful world and its characters which Shunji Iwai carefully crafted. The director must have drew a lot of inspiration from the late Krzysztof Kieślowski (The Double Life of Veronique (1991) and The Three Colours Trilogy (1993-1994)) in terms of handling cinematography and complementing visuals with music. I simply fell in love with the snow-laden city of Otaru and I hope that I will live to see the day when I’m gonna be able to do some live location scouting out there.
In terms of performances, Miho Nakayama steals the show as Watanabe Hiroko/Fujii Itsuki. Having known her as a great j-pop singer (but not the best), it is quite out of the ordinary to see her playing two contrasting parts almost effortlessly! However, other actors also do a fine job. Miki Sakai deserves the second highest praise as a young female Fujii Itsuki (she really looked like a younger version of Miho Nakayama!). Etsushi Toyokawa does well as Hiroko’s friend, whereas Bunjaku Han and Katsuyuki Shinohara are unforgettable as female Itsuki’s family.
By far, the most touching scene of the movie, at least in my opinion, is “Ogenki desu ka?” moment. I found it so powerful and relatable that I was forcefully withholding tears! What is happening to me? I have to get a grip. No! I cannot, because this movie is so gloriously brilliant in its evocation of sentimentality and nostalgia for things long gone...
 
Recommendations
Safely recommended to anyone. If you happen to stumble upon this 23-year-old gem, do not waste time and grab it! One side note though. There seems to be no R1 dvd release of the movie. It was released in the US under the VHS title When I Close My Eyes, but that was basically it. Go for R3 release instead. Many reviewers praise Love Letter as the greatest romance story from Japan. To me, it is the greatest sentimental story ever told! It is not so much about love, but coming to terms with oneself. Dear Watanabe Hiroko...
Overall score: 10/10!
Upcoming next time: 99th review!

Note: This review was published in a re-edited form on AMP (August 27, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is switched on due to recent spam postings.