Immigrant Experience and American Dreams: Interview with Bishrel Mashbat

 
When thinking about Mongolian films and artists, one can realise that such a topic is not extremely popular in mainstream culture. This does not mean; however, that this country does not have passionate filmmakers determined to communicate their voices to international audiences. For this interview, I sit down to talk with Bishrel Mashbat, the director of a 2018 movie In the Land of Lost Angels.
 
 
Is In the Land of Lost Angels your feature film debut? How did your career unfold prior to this movie?
Yes, it is my feature debut. Before this, I have spent many years editing documentaries and tv shows. I was doing various gigs really, anything I could get my hands on while trying to get a film made unsuccessfully.
 
How did the idea of making In the Land of Lost Angels come about?
Mainly I wanted to show Mongolians to the world. When I say I am Mongolian, most people have no clue of who we are. I wanted to show people how we looked, acted, walked, and talked like, albeit in a fiction setting. Furthermore, I wanted to make an Asian American film that is tonally different than what was out there. Lighthearted, comedic, or melodramatic films tend to dominate most Asian American Cinema. I wanted our film to feel different on a granular level. I wanted it to have a different texture.
 
 
The movie evidently deals with a popular theme of kidnapping. Did you draw inspirations from other popular films with similar story patterns, such as High and Low (1963) or Ransom (1996)?
Nope. I am not sure if I watched them before. Although our film deals with the topic of kidnapping, it meant something different to me, at least. One could also approach the kidnapping from an allegorical angle. 
 
I noticed on the cast and crew listing that a couple of actors share your surname. Could you tell us a bit more about the casting process?
My brother, Iveel Mashbat, plays Orgil's character. There are not a lot of Mongolian American actors out there, so pragmaticism might have played a role there. He also was a child actor, so the roots were there. My wife also appears briefly in the film.
 
 
How did you get American actors on board?
Most of them are my personal friends and fellow filmmakers. However, to answer your question directly: it took a lot of beers.
 
Have you been in any way inspired by Mongolian artists while making In the Land of Lost Angels?
Not particularly. Maybe rap artists. I used to drive a lot at night while writing the script, blasting Mongolian rap music in my car.
 
 
What was the reaction of the Mongolian diaspora in America upon seeing the movie?
Mongolian Americans responded very well. They have been championing this project since its inception. If they read this, I would like to thank every one of them.
 
Do you have any piece of advice for aspiring filmmakers from minority communities?
Being someone from a minority community, one might feel like they have a tougher hill to climb, but the flip side is that you bring a unique point-of-view and life experience. That will set you apart. Write what you know. Write a lot.
 
 
What are your future plans? Are you already working on a new motion picture?
Right before this crazy pandemic happened, I was filming my second feature. I was lucky enough to have my footage in the can before the lockdown happened. Consequently, I have spent most of the lockdown working on the post of my second film titled Beloved.
 
If you are interested in Bishrel's work, please refer to his official website. In the Last of Lost Angels can be viewed on Amazon Prime. Thank you for reading!
 
«Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us»

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is switched on due to recent spam postings.