It’s Tough Being a Blog Writer Part 2: Critical Boogaloo [Editorial]

Well, here it is. Nobody wanted it, and I didn’t plan on writing this post at all, but this is the second part of my original ramble which was posted a little over three months ago. This “sequel” of sorts came about in the light of my recent observations as well as encouragement from Rhythm Zaveri, a member of the admin panel of the Asian Cinema Enthusiastic group and a true passionate of Asian movies (you can check out the abundance of his reviews right here). Originally, I wanted to make this post directly on the facebook group, but I thought it would be too general in view of the guidelines, so I am sharing this text on the blog.
     Contrary to the first part of my editorial, where I talked about the challenges of writing, I would like to focus in the herein piece on the follies of film criticism. It all stemmed from a loose conversation I had at work when I was chatting with a fellow teacher and the conversation turned to foreign languages. She said that in order to use the foreign language one has to continuously repeat the grammar and vocab over and over again, so as not to forget all that jazz. I disagreed and replied that the usage of foreign language is not about mindless repetition, but active practice. Then, I provided the example of my blog which I run in English, even though I am not a native speaker of that language. However, writing in English allows me to actively engage with the language on a nearly daily basis.
     The fellow teacher nodded trying to process what I said to her and all of a sudden blurted out, “You write reviews, so you’re like a movie critic, right?”
     I know she did not mean anything negative with that kind of question, but at that moment I really felt as if I got thrown under a speeding bus. I politely explained that I am more of a movie enthusiast than a professional critic, and ended the conversation on that note. Looking back at that chat in retrospect, it was not the implication in that inquiry that hurt me, but my own perception of the matter because I absolutely do not regard myself as a film critic.
     What does it mean to be a film critic, anyway? We live in the times when film criticism is already a branch of academia with its rich toolkit of deconstructive approaches (formalism, structuralism, psychoanalysis, etc.). Back in the old days, in the era of VHS, I was under the impression that a film critic is basically a journalist who works for a magazine, writes reviews, and even provides a recommendation tagline that is used on the front cover of a film. In fact, this is how the job originated in the United States, but throughout the decades it has gained a more refined connotation. The conventional critic stopped perceiving himself (or herself) as an ordinary writer and transformed into a self-proclaimed voice that defines the cultural taste of the masses. In my opinion, this transformation took centerstage in the 1990s with the increasing availability of movie magazines outside of the United States and the advent of special talk shows featuring either movie experts (see Alex Cox) or movie critics (see Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel).
     It was not until the digital age, however, that the profession really underwent a change. Field-specific websites and YouTube pushed out traditional media and really opened the way for amateurs to play up the great critical game. Arguably, the best examples illustrating this are personas of the Nostalgia Critic and Angry Video Game Nerd who in the mid 2000s found their niche by means of making funny, satirical, out-of-the box reviews. Nevertheless, there are still people out there who never caught the entertainment bug like the aforementioned Youtubers, and strive to be regarded as traditional film critics. Nevertheless, what is the cost of attaining this mythical seal of recognition that is so precious to them?
     If you want to become a professional film critic, you need to be well-versed in film studies and film history in general. You need to go deeper, beyond the iceberg of Julia Kristeva’s intertextuality, straight down the rabbit hole of the language of film. It is a very hard thing to do but not impossible. Most importantly, the real film critic is not a nitpicker, but a person who tries to view the film objectively as a work of art in spite of the fact that the very act of providing your opinion is subjective indeed. The best examples of film critics in my book who fulfil the abovementioned criteria are Mark Kermode, Tomasz Raczek, and Peter Travers.
 
    Still, there are some people out there (some but not many) who wish to cut corners and become critics without having necessary knowledge. I have met a few such individuals in my life, and the golden rule they follow is to latch onto either a group of people with necessary expertise (professional website) or a special event that gives them access to the high entertainment world (for instance, film festivals).
     Such an individual followed me out of the blue on social media some time ago. I just shook my head in pity and made a look like The Third World Skeptical Kid when I flicked through that person’s profile. The person in question is roughly the same age as I am, got their PhD in culture studies (mine was in literary studies), appeared on a podcast (same as me), runs a SNS page with reviews (I run my blog), but he desperately stylises himself to be a film critic by advertising himself as team member of a festival event and by writing pompous, and slightly pretentious stuff on Asian movies.
     Well, if you seek validation on social media in such a way, then it is not my business to interfere. The bottomline I am getting at with this editorial is as follows: there is a fine line of difference between a film critic and a film enthusiast, at least in my opinion. I consider myself to be a member of the latter category. I just run my blog and share my loose thoughts on film with you all. I may get intertextual at times, I may provide my personal analysis of a given film, but I never regard my opinions as definite, spellbinding, or setting the trends. I will never dare to cross over into the former domain because it is a real job, a real craftsmanship, and a real responsibility in front of many people. Unfortunately, some are unaware of this.
     All in all, If I ever happen to write pieces like “Traces of Loneliness and Phallocentrism in the Films of Wong Kar Wai” or “Oppression of the Nationalist Patriarchy in Hiroshi Shimizu’s Japanese Girls at the Harbor (1933),” the please do know that I have completely lost my grip on reality upon publishing these. Still again, if the titles I came up with inspired you, then you have my blessing to write these academic essays (if you haven’t done so already).
     I hope that I managed to get my message across. If not, then I invite you to read the conclusion of the first past of my editorial which gives you the whole thing in a nutshell. We are all on our personal cinema journeys, and I wish you best of luck with yours. Thank you for reading.
Image Sources
As Tears Go By (1988),
The Naked Director (2019),
Fireworks (1997),
Beloved (2022),
Tokusatsu Gagaga (2019),
A Confucian Confusion (1994),
As Tears Go By (1988),
«Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us»

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is switched on due to recent spam postings.