The Lost Art of Movie Trailers- Fave Picks- Part 2

Welcome to today’s update, which is in fact a continuation of a post I made a few weeks ago. If you don’t know what’s going on, I encourage you to check out the original post; however, if you don’t have the time and want to skip to nitty gritty right now, then please do know that I decided to compose a list of my favourite trailers for Asian productions. This is actually going to be a three-part list with a descending order, so I am going to provide my choices from spot 30 to 1 together with justifications. So please make yourself comfortable and let’s check out some trailers!
 
19. The Naked Director 2 (2021)
Given that this post is a sequel, this particular list is also mainly focused on sequels. I already mentioned previously how much I enjoyed the original trailer for the first season of The Naked Director, but Netflix’s trailer for Season 2 is by no means a step down. You can tell that people had a blast in the editing room when putting this together. No Pet Shop Boys time, however. Unfortunately, I’m unable to identify the bombastic song that plays in the background. If you know, then please let me know in the comments.
 
18. Shuto Kousoku Trial 2 (1990)
Whoever put the Shuto Kousoku Trial movie trailers on Youtube, I just want to say thank you! These are truly outstanding pieces of obscure media that should never become forgotten. Evidently, the purpose of this trailer was to sell this little video gem that was denied the traditional theatrical run due to alleged promotion of illegal racing. The trailer includes a much needed dosage of car action as well as music by Saori Saitoh. 
 
17. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
I think that Godzilla haters could say, “If you have seen a Godzilla theatrical trailer, then you have seen them all”. Well, I don’t mind the Godzilla trailers because even though they may seem formulaic, they never fail to get you hyped for a film. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II trailer delivers awesome F/X visuals done by Koichi Kawakita and his team as well as haunting music by Akira Ifukube.
 
16. A Class to Remember 2 (1996)
In this instance, I actually wanted to share a trailer for A Class to Remember, the first movie from 1993, but the trailer is no longer to be found on YouTube. So, I decided to share A Class to Remember 2 which is done in the same fashion as the one I had in my mind and contains the same music cues.
 
15. Project S (1993)
A spin-off Police Story movie featuring badass Michelle Yeoh in the lead. My nostalgia feels go through the roof whenever I revisit the film, and the same goes for the trailer which contains not only action, but also crazy awesome Cantonese music.
 
14. Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (1994)
Yet another Godzilla trailer, this time it’s a bit different from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II because this one does not have Akira Ifukube’s music, but an idol song playing over the movie clips. For a Godzilla film, it is a weird oddity from the 1990s, but it is not an uncommon thing for modern trailers from Japan which often include Pop songs.
 
13. Bayside Shakedown: The Movie (1998)
Honestly, I like the first Bayside Shakedown movie a bit more than the second one, that’s why the trailer for part 1 is actually on a higher spot of my rundown list. What I appreciate the most in this trailer is that it uses not so much the main theme of the franchise but other incidental music composed by Akihiko Matsumoto.
 
12. Battle Royale (2000)
Whenever I think about Battle Royale adaptation, I always think about Giuseppe Verdi’s Requiem Dies Irae musical piece. Although the music is not prominently featured in the film itself, the theatrical trailer undoubtedly highlights it to the max.
 
11. Akira (1988)
Without a doubt, one of my all-time favourite anime features. The tightly-paced theatrical trailer with Geinoh Yamashirogumi vibes really makes you think as if you are watching a live-action movie rather than animation. Akira both and trailer are truly for keeps.
 
So this was the end of the second part. If you enjoyed this rundown, I invite you to stay tuned for part 3. Thank you for reading.
«Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us»

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is switched on due to recent spam postings.