Takashi Yamazaki is the GOAT [Editorial]

Even though it has been several months since the premiere of Godzilla Minus One, the fallout dust resulting from warm reception of the film across the globe has not settled yet. In January, the movie was re-released in Japan and the USA in a special version called Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color. What is more, the film received 12 nominations at the 47th Japan Academy Film Prize, and a nomination for Best Visual Effects at the 96th Academy Awards. In consequence Minus One is the first Godzilla production to be nominated for an Oscar(!)
     I have already praised the film in review last month, so I am not going to repeat my comments. The reason why I am writing today’s post is to praise the mastermind behind Minus One: Takashi Yamazaki, the ultimate die-hard fan of King of the Monsters.
     Yesterday, I accidentally spotted on Youtube an interview Yamazaki gave to Rotten Tomatoes and it absolutely made my day. Apart from having custom-made shoes, he had the audacity to bring with himself a Godzilla action figure. He is such a sweet fan boy who is not ashamed of his love for the franchise!
     Evidently, Yamazaki poured his heart and soul into making Godzilla Minus One, not only as a writer and director, but also as a VFX supervisor, which (according to FX artists) really shortened the chain of command on a blockbuster production and smoothed the production process (source).
     In an interview, Yamazki says that he is open to the possibility of making “Godzilla Minus Two”, and I think Academy Awards offer the director a solid platform to convince Toho for one more shot at making a Godzilla flick. When I cooled down after reviewing Minus One, I would personally love to see Yamazaki’s take on a sequel in a time when Japan is rebuilding itself after World War II, but I would like the story to focus on entirely new characters. Please don’t bring the old gang because they deserved the happy ending!
     This brings me to the Rotten Tomatoes question that was brought up in the interview. It is clear that Yamazaki has a lot of reverence for Christopher Nolan and Oppenheimer, and when the director was asked about the potential international casting choices for a new Godzilla film, he eloquently responded that the Oppenheimer cast was very talented (without giving any specific names). I know that Yamazaki was very gracious and careful with his answer, but this Oppenheimer touch really set my mind going for a potential Oppenheimer x Godzilla crossover. How crazy that could be?
     I know this is just fanboying, but nothing will deny the fact that Oppenheimer and Godzilla Minus One ruled the cinemas in 2023. Both movies focused on the themes of nuclear weapons, destruction, and morality of man in their own unique ways.
     To end this text, allow me to say that during one of my high school lessons, I allowed students to ask me various questions in English. One student asked me on a whim “Have you seen Godzilla Minus One?” convinced that I haven’t seen the film, but I answered positively, his eyes lit up and shouted, “This is the greatest film of 2023!” and that remark comes from a 15-year-old.
     To sum up, I salute you Takashi Yamazaki, your movie has transcended countries, languages, and generations in its quest to creep into the hearts of Godzilla fans across the world. You are the greatest of all.
*Feature image source. The remaining pictures used are promotional photos of Godzilla Minus One.
«Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us»

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've crossed my fingers so tightly for a sequel film in years. Yamazaki Takashi, we we've already said a million times, is such a breath of fresh air for the franchise. I really hope Toho doesn't blow this.

    Not sure how I'd feel about a direct Oppenheimer x Godzilla but easter eggs. Maybe some appearances from the cast as the occupying forces? I can get behind that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Rise! Yes, I really hope as well that Yamazaki will return, but Toho is unfortunately as unpredictable as 20th Century Fox back in the day. The studio just can't appreciate the magnitude of a franchise they own.

      Tbh, I would love to see some of the cast members from Oppenheimer in small roles. This would be definitely the best wink at the audience possible, without breaking the fourth wall and going full on Oppenheimer x Godzilla.

      But I don't know. Yamazaki is capable of doing anything, which he already showed in Always: Sunset on Third Sunset 2, but I will talk about this next week.

      Delete
    2. You're super welcome! Sorry for the delayed reply (stuff on my end not yours). Ugh, tell me about it was Toho. So inconsistent as of late.

      That would perfect! I wonder how long it would take people to spot it though. The perfect balance is hard to do with any project.

      Delete

Comment moderation is switched on due to recent spam postings.